A comprehensive study of these coins has never been undertaken previously, this mainly due to the general condition of the coins available for sale. The majority of them are extremely worn and illegible, could this explain why they have been overlooked as official.
The obverse does not look convincing at all, but i would say that the reverse with galley does emulate in many ways the official galley coins of Ascalon. If we are to categorise these coins as imitative, then we need to give some credit to the engraver, the legend and Phoenicia letters were not blundered.
As you can see from the images provided below, types 1-4 have the correct spelling of IEPΛ followed by the Phoenician letters beth, sadhe & lamedh below the galley, meaning belonging to Tyre (Types 2 & 4, Phoenician letters obliterated / off flan). On many of the coins, although extremely obscure, there are additional letters in top field. Type 3 possibly gives us the best clue in respect to era dates. If correct, the coin on the left has an era date of P∆ (104 B.C) and the coin on the right PZ (107 B.C). These dates fit in quite nicely with the other smaller denominations minted in Tyre.
On type 5 we can see an abbreviated IEΛ, but they also have Phoenician letters below.
One would perhaps have expected more discrepancies in the spelling of IEPΛ and Phoenician letters if these were barbaric.
Of the nine coins i have posted here today, types 2,4 & 5 belong to denomination E, type 1 to denomination D and type 3 to denomination C.
Please note that with the exception of type 4, all have a rotation of 0 (12 o’clock) !
I can only presume that after Seleucid rule ended, the city fell on hard times. Tyre gained her autonomous status from the Seleucids in 126-125 B.C and became a civitas foederato (allied community) of the Roman Republic. In 64 B.C the city became a colony of Syria.
1. 13.71mm / 1.92mm thickness, weight 2.04g, rotation 0.
2. 13.66mm / 2.16mm thickness, weight 2.04g, rotation 0.
1. 12.77mm / 1.22mm thickness, weight 1.13g, rotation 0.
2. 13.55mm / 1.60mm thickness, weight 1.38g, rotation 0.
1. 14.42mm / 1.96mm thickness, weight 2.40g, rotation 0.
2. 14.64mm / 2.04mm thickness, weight 2.26g, rotation 0.
1. 12.71mm / 1.04mm thickness, weight 0.96g, rotation 300 (10 o’clock).
1. 11.88mm / 1.20mm thickness, weight 0.71g, rotation 0.
2. 10.55mm / 1.23mm thickness, weight 0.83g, rotation 0.
3. 11.14mm / 1.27mm thickness, weight 0.76g, rotation 0.